Jennie and I have been trying to buy as much food as we can from our local farmers and the time is approaching for me to get my order in (I’m running behind!) for this year’s veggie garden. We have found a few great places that we like for buying our meats and stocking up on eggs and other things we can’t get from Kroger.
This Friday, Feb 18, bird is the word! For one day only, Whole Foods Market will have organic whole chickens on sale for $1.69/pound. And these aren’t just any chickens. They meet the USDA’s organic standards, which means:
- No antibiotics, ever.
- Access to the outdoors.
- Only organic vegetarian feed.
Roasted, grilled or simmered, an organic whole chicken is the perfect meal solution. At this incredible price, why not stock up and freeze a few, so you can try a number of different recipes later? Here are some favorites from Whole Foods:
- Coffee Rubbed Chicken: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2448
- Chicken in a Pot: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1003
- Peruvian-Style Roasted Chicken: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2510
- Oven-Fried Chicken: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2072
- Flavors of India Roasted Chicken: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1129
- Learn to Cook: Whole Grilled Chicken: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2550
Plus, all of the producers are ranked by the 5-Step™ Animal Welfare Rating standards developed by Global Animal Partnership.
The producers are audited by third party certification parties. Click here to watch a short video about more information regarding their rating standards. You can also find more information here. This is such a great program that allows consumers to have a better understand on where their produce is coming from, Jennie and I are particularly excited about this new Animal Welfare Rating standard since we do like to make an effort to ensure we’re getting our food as local as possible. Thanks to Whole Foods – they are making it easy for us! 🙂