We had the opportunity to review another book called, “Motherhood, Philosophy for Everyone.”
It’s a book that’s great if you’re looking for something a little more challenging and thought provoking than “Chicken Soup for The Mother’s Soul” but at the same time not something you’d grab if you only have 5-10 minutes between feedings, nap time, potty breaks, etc. It’s Philosophy…but in a much more hands on approach than that college class you took all those years ago.
This book is a compilation of many mother’s points of view on various aspects of Motherhood. Each Chapter is written by a different mother and ultimately gives you a great variation of thoughts on Motherhood. Philosophy is described as a way of thinking. This book opens the doors about Motherhood and covers a range of issues mother’s face in a refreshing and thought provoking way.
If you have ever wondered what makes a “good” or “bad” mother, or if mothers are always right in thinking their babies are beautiful, or indeed, whether mother always knows best, look no further. Without a singer nag, Motherhood – Philosophy for Everyone covers these salient philosophical issues, and more:
- The anticipation of impending parenthood compared with the reality
- Should we tell the occasional lie to our children?
- What does the Bible actually say about the virgin birth?
- If we were able to turn our children off, would and should be tempted by this option?
- The experience of lesbian mothering
- The unexpected challenges and complications of being a mother
Here is a sneak peak of a few of the chapter titles:
- Mommy Brain: Truth, Knowledge, and Belief in Mothering
- Labor Pains: The The Work and Wonder of Being a Mom
- Mom’s Morality: Ethical Issues in Mothering
- Is Motherhood Everything You Thought It Would Be? Fantasy Meets Reality
If you’re looking for some great reflection on Motherhood, this book is for you! I did like the fact I was able to read many different ideas and opinions on Motherhood but for me it’s difficult to have time to read at all with a toddler running around and at times it was difficult for me to set aside the time this book deserved! If you are interested, you can check out the book here!
We do have ONE copy of this book to giveaway! If you’re interested in reading it for yourself, leave us a comment and we’ll enter you into this giveaway! You will have until SUNDAY, MARCH 27th at NOON and we’ll pick a winner through Random.org.