What on earth is going on with this Cincinnati weather?! We are supposed to be having Spring Break next week and all weekend they are talking about SNOW?? Poor Luke has been totally confused, he wakes up one day when it’s 60 and says “Spring?” and then the next day we have snow and he says “wait a minute, I thought it was warm – where did this come from?” I think all of us are asking the same thing and just as confused.
We are not only taking a break from school next week and heading off to Washington DC for a fun filled family vacation but we are also taking a week off from blogging next week! Jennie and I will take some much needed time away from answering emails, blogging each day and step away from the computer so we can prove to our husbands (and kids!) that they do indeed come FIRST! I do feel like we are pretty good about not spending too much time in front of the computer but it’s always nice to close the laptop and take some time unplugged to recharge the batteries a little.
I have been busy getting ready for our road trip next week and it will be Emma’s first big drive so it will be interesting to see how she does in the car for that long. This is practice for our Florida drive in July! Thankfully, the drive to Wash DC is only about 8-9 hours and we are planning to do most of it at night to make it easier on the kids (and us!). Both Luke and Emma LOVE the car so I’m not too stressed about the journey. Here’s a few things I always pack for long drives:
- Fun new snacks for Luke – I always get healthier organic snacks because the last thing you want is hyped up kids going crazy in the car from all that artificial ingredients, sugars and dyes! Don’t forget fruit, which always travels well such as oranges, bananas, apples, etc.
- Bottles of water are a must for all of us – we don’t do soda but I also did get Almond Milk boxes for Luke and for a treat I got the dark chocolate Almond Milk boxes too! (They are my favorite!) Be careful not to give lots of juice to kids, they will guzzle it and you’ll have to stop all.the.time.
- A few new lap toys for both the kids because I’m not a fan of Luke being plugged into the DVD player movie after movie.
- I always pack extra baby wipes for messes and lots of plastic bags to contain trash and keep the car tidy.
- iPad – this will be one of the few times I let Luke play with my iPad, and I’ve installed a few fun new apps for him as a surprise.
- Lots and lots of books. I will head to the library and stock up on books that relate to Washington DC so Luke can learn more about where we’re going in the car on the way! Sometimes you can get fun kids books on CD that are great too – we love the Arthur series on CD. Luke has the book in the back seat that he can follow along with the CD.
- The other thing we always do is stop for a longish break at a Cracker Barrell or something similar to let us all get a break from the car. Luke loves looking at all the fun toys in the shop and the food seems better than the other fast food that’s on offer.
I have been looking on Pinterest and seeing so many great options for DIY lap tables for kids and things to keep it fun for long drives. I will definitely be doing another post on what I’ve found and will be trying more ideas out for our longer drive to Florida later in the year.
What are your MUST HAVES for long car rides and what fun trips do you have planned for the family coming up?