Two days ago marked the start of The Ohio State Fair taking place in the capitol of Ohio – Columbus! My mom and I decided to head up there yesterday for the day and check it out, it was FUN and if you’re looking for something to do this weekend be sure not to miss it! It’s going on thru next week so you have plenty of time to get the family together and GO! After spending the day up there yesterday, here’s my suggestions of what NOT to miss at the fair!
First and foremost….save some money! My mom was able to get in FREE because she is an Ohio 4th grade teacher and they are having a fantastic 4th grade “Ag is Cool” program where exiting fourth grade students (2012-2013 academic year) and one chaperone can attend the Fair for free any one day July 24 – Aug. 4 to enjoy the interactive Ag is Cool program by presenting a valid report card at the entrance gates. Fourth grade teachers can get a free admission voucher by registering at www.ohioagriculture.gov/AgisCool.
Each day of the fair they have special discounts and promotions, yesterday was Kroger Day so I was able to get in for only $3 because I brought two canned goods. Children under 5 are free, but kids over 5 are $8 and adults are $10 at the gate. You can also purchase advanced tickets for only $6 at Kroger! If you are planning to head up there this weekend, here are the promotions happening on Saturday and Sunday:
Saturday, July 27
AEP Ohio Day AEP Ohio customers present a bill at a booth outside entrance gates to receive $5 admission vouchers for everyone in your party before 5 pm.
Sunday, July 28
Veterans & Military Day Free admission for veterans and active military with appropriate identification.
Be sure to check out their website for all the promos happening each day next week!
There was a lot of great things to check out at the fair, opening TODAY through the weekend will be a fantastic BIG Lego display where kids can build and use their imaginations with Lego! Be prepared to hang out there for a while because your kids will not want to leave. Maybe get one of their JUMBO Iced Teas beforehand! We loved watching the horse shows in the coliseum and walking through the pavilions to see the pigs, chickens, ducks, rabbits and cows. We were even able to watch a Mama Pig give birth to her babies! There were also several cows getting ready to give birth so you may see a brand new calf on your visit as well!
Things NOT to miss:
Give the kids a chance to milk a cow!
- They have fun shows throughout the day with SEA LIONS, yes sea lions! We were even able to get our picture taken with “Sparky” who was adorable and pretty charming!
- Food! They have SO many great choices for food, the BBQ smelled divine. We ate at the Ohio Café and everything we sampled was delicious, not your usual greasy fair food, although there are plenty of choices for more traditional fair food if that’s your thing.
- Make sure you let the kids paint on the giant wall of barnyard animals!
- In the Dairy building is an incredible display made out of BUTTER! They are also selling bacon maple ice cream if you are brave enough to try something outside the box for your dessert! (If you try it, let me know how it was…I was not brave enough!)
- Sand Sculpture was incredible!
You can find a full list of attractions happening on their website, but these were my favorite! Also be sure to check out the weather before you go, we planned to go yesterday because it was perfect at 78 degrees and not too hot! Also, be sure to print out these Coupons from the vendors at the fair to save even more money!