What’s for dinner tonight? CHICKEN.
Head over to Whole Foods Market – Mason for a fantastic ONE DAY deal today only for $1.99 per/pound on their whole chickens!
While you’re there, head over to check out the two NEW lines of Chicken from the 365 Whole Foods Brand that allows you to purchase great quality chicken at the prices you’re used to seeing from the likes of the cheap regular ole’ supermarket brands(whose names we dare not whisper)! It doesn’t get much better than that, Mamas!
I got a package of drumsticks, thighs & wings which totaled abut $6. It fed our family of 4 with plenty of left overs but really should have at least fed a family of 6. The really nice part that I love about this recipe is how the sweetness of the chicken is balanced out by the brown rice and the kale. It fills you up without leaving you feeling heavy and bloated. Both my kids really enjoyed it, the chicken was their favorite part. If brown rice and kale isn’t your thing try it with roasted red potatoes and a veggie side your family loves.
- 1-3 pounds of chicken drumsticks, thighs and wings
- 3 tablespoons of 365 Brand Whole Foods Grade B Maple Syrup
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 cup 356 Brand Whole Foods brown rice
- 1-2 handfuls of fresh Kale
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade together and pour over chicken in a bowl.
- Leave it covered in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Pour the entire chicken mixture and marinade into a pan skin side up (you may choose to use tin foil to make clean up easier) and cook at 425 degrees for about 45 min - 1 hr.
- The chicken will look golden brown and delicious.
- Put 1 cup of brown rice and 2 cups of water all into your rice cooker. At the very end of cooking the brown rice, I like to put the handful of fresh kale directly into the rice cooker on top of the rice so it gently steams the rice and you can easily mix it together just before you serve it.
- Alternatively, you can cook the rice on the stove per the instructions on the bag and put the kale in at the last minute the same way as above. Salt and pepper to taste.